The Learning About Learning pathway is designed for staff who require pedagogic knowledge of learning and teaching and who can commit to formal study. It is intended for staff for whom teaching and learning is a limited part of their work.
Teaching includes (but is not limited to) design and delivery of live sessions (e.g. seminars/webinars, tutorials, lectures, studio or lab sessions); design of learning resources and activities; assessment design, marking and feedback; provision of support for learning (e.g. demonstrating, tutoring, field trip support, tutorial and seminar support, library and skills support, learning technologist support); dissertation or project support and supervision; course and programme design, and course and programme leadership.
We expect that staff undertaking Learning About Learning might be in the following categories:
- Early career researchers with some teaching responsibilities (e.g. PhD students, GTAs, contract researchers/post-doctoral researchers etc.).
- Staff new to teaching (including those with part-time academic responsibilities).
- Staff who support academic provision (e.g. learning technologists, learning developers and learning resource/library staff).
- Staff who undertake demonstrator/technician roles that incorporate some teaching-related responsibilities.
- Experienced staff in relevant professional areas who may be new to teaching and/or supporting learning, or who have a limited teaching portfolio.
These align with Descriptor 1 of the UK Professional Standards Framework to enable us to maintain accreditation of the pathway at Associate Fellowship level.
For entry to the Learning About Learning Pathway you must meet both the minimum previous experience and the minimum current teaching requirements.
- Minimum of 30-40 hours FTE teaching experience in any HEI working at Descriptor 1 of the UKPSF prior to starting the course.
Your previous experience could include: tutoring, demonstrating, supporting teaching and learning, mentoring others in education etc. This previous teaching experience will enable you to understand the theory and practice discussed in the course.
- Minimum of 5 hours per week teaching responsibilities, commensurate with Descriptor 1 of the UKPSF, for the full duration of the course (1 semester). This requirement reflects that this is a practice-based course.
If you do not yet have agreed current teaching responsibilities but are likely to do so or if your teaching responsibilities are grouped rather than weekly, please get in touch with the Learning About Learning team to discuss whether the pathway is right for you at this time.