The PGCertTL programme is designed for staff who require detailed pedagogic knowledge of learning and teaching. It is intended for staff for whom teaching and learning is a substantive part of their work
We expect that staff undertaking the PGCertTL programme might be in the following categories (these align with Descriptor 2 of the UK Professional Standards Framework):
- Early career academics.
- Academic-related and/or support staff holding substantive teaching and learning responsibilities.
- Experienced academics relatively new to UK higher education.
- Staff with (sometimes significant) teaching-only responsibilities including, for example, within work-based settings.
For entry to the PGCertTL programme you must meet both the minimum previous experience and the minimum current teaching requirements.
- Minimum of FTE 120 hours of prior teaching experience in higher education in any HEI; with substantive personal teaching responsibilities such as designing and delivering teaching sessions, setting and marking assessment (formative and/or summative), providing feedback to students, course development etc. AND
- Minimum of 5 hours per week teaching responsibilities for the full duration of the programme (2 years). This requirement reflects that this is a practice-based course and must have responsibility for design and planning of learning activities or programmes of study; design and marking of assessments, feedback to students and course development etc.
If there is a semester when you will not be teaching, please speak to the PGCertTL team to discuss whether the programme is right for you at this time.