Inspiring Student Learning: Rising to the Challenge of RBL
Heriot-Watt Global Learning & Teaching Symposium, 27-29th October 2020
October 27, 2020 @ 8:00 am – October 29, 2020 @ 12:00 pm
You are warmly invited to join this semester’s global learning and teaching symposium, Inspiring Learning: Rising to the Challenge of RBL. This three-part conversation is an opportunity to reflect on an unprecedented period of change and consider practical and pragmatic ways to inspire student learning online and on-campus.
The symposium offers a chance to:
- Connect with colleagues and share your practice.
- Pause, breathe and find new sources of inspiration.
- Explore insights from across the higher education sector.
The events are open to everyone across our Heriot-Watt community. They are scheduled in three parts:
Tuesday 27th October 10am UK | 2pm Dubai | 6pm Malaysia
- Keynote seminar: Getting the Blend Right: Inspiring Student Learning through Blended Learning
- Speaker: Dr Alison Gilmour, University of Greenwich
- Read Dr Alison Gilmour’s biography
- Followed by an informal teabreak chat with Dr Alison Gilmour
- Please register for Alison Gilmour’s keynote here.
- Watch Dr. Alison Gilmour’s keynote again here.
Wednesday 28th October: 9.15am UK | 1.15pm Dubai | 5.15pm Malaysia
- Keynote seminar: Engaging learners across place/s, space/s, and time/s: The potential of inquiry-based course designs and dialogic pedagogies
- Speaker: Dr. Susan Bridges, University of Hong Kong
- Read Dr Susan Bridges biography
- Download the abstract for ‘Engaging learners across place/s, space/s, and time/s: The potential of inquiry-based course designs and dialogic pedagogies’
- Followed by an informal teabreak chat with Dr. Susan Bridges
- Please register for Susan Bridges’ keynote here.
Thursday 29th October: 8am UK | 12 noon Dubai | 4pm Malaysia
- Responsive Blended Learning in Action: An opportunity to hear from colleagues across the University about their Responsive Blended Learning practice, and to share your own practice and ideas.
- Followed by themed teabreak conversations to allow you to connect informally with colleagues across the university.
- Please register for the ‘Responsive Blended Learning in Action’ session here.
- The session will be chaired by Lee Miles, Director of Learning and Teaching, School of Textiles and Design
- Presenters include:
- Rosemarie McIlwhan – ‘Reflecting on the first 5 weeks of RBL’
- Helen Lever – ‘Virtual Fieldwork’
- Tadgh O’Donovan – ‘Supporting students through RBL’
- Alex MacLaren – ‘Supporting student collaboration’
- Lisa McIntyre – ‘Responding to student feedback’
- Join ‘Responsive Blended Learning in Action’ sharing practice session via Microsoft Teams
All keynote events will be held on Microsoft Teams. They will be recorded and made available after the event.