Archived Resource: Responsive Blended Learning
For current guidance on teaching online and on-campus please see the AY22-23 teaching team support pack.
The Responsive Blended Learning model is no longer in use at Heriot-Watt and has been replaced with Globally Connected Learning, however we recognise that the resources may still be of interest or use to colleagues therefore the full resources are provided here.
Responsive Blended Learning (RBL) combines active, supported online learning with contextually appropriate face-to-face learning opportunities, responding dynamically to the changing external context. This approach enables students to proceed with their studies alongside their peers, whatever pandemic-related restrictions are lifted or imposed in specific contexts.
RBL: Our principles
- Prioritise the wellbeing of staff and students.
- Support students to thrive as part of global learning communities.
- Value our staff and their skills, knowledge and passion for their subject that underpins the HWU learning experience.
- Build on our strengths as a global, multi-sited university.
- Blend online and face-to-face learning in a way that is pedagogically appropriate and practically deliverable.
- Ensure identical academic standards across learning contexts.
- Maintain our commitment to Inspiring Learning.
At the heart of the RBL approach is our Heriot-Watt global learning community, our students and our staff collaborating together to inspire learning.
the RBL quick guides
Technology Enhanced Learning Glossary
‘Practice based activities: Labs, studios and fieldwork’ guide
Fundamentals of effective online teaching practice
Practice based activities: Guidance and Case Studies
RBL top tips for teaching in physically distanced contexts.
Managing conduct in your virtual classroom
Teaching Simultaneously Online and On-campus
Top tips for Teaching Simultaneously Online and On-campus
Getting Started with Course and Assessment Design
Getting ready for AY21/22 assessment overview
AY21/22 Reviewing your course checklist
Using ABC learning design at Heriot-Watt